Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Bible in a Year - Day 39

Day 26 - Exodus 11 & 12; Matthew 18:21-35
‘It is the Passover sacrifice to the Lord, who passed over the houses of the Israelites in Egypt and spared our homes when he struck down the Egyptians.’” Then the people bowed down and worshiped. (Exodus 12:27)

The Lord had made the Egyptians favorably disposed toward the people, and they gave them what they asked for; so they plundered the Egyptians. (Exodus 12:36)

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive someone who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. (Matthew 18:21-22)

“The servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go. (Matthew 18:26-27)

Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ (Matthew 18:33)


Day 27 - Exodus 13, 14 & 15; Matthew 19:1-15
“In days to come, when your children ask you, ‘What does this mean?’ say to them, ‘With a mighty hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. (Exodus 13:14)

By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people. (Exodus 13:21-22)

The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” (Exodus 14:14)

Then the angel of God, who had been traveling in front of Israel’s army, withdrew and went behind them. The pillar of cloud also moved from in front and stood behind them, coming between the armies of Egypt and Israel. (Exodus 14:19-20)

The Israelites went through the sea on dry ground, with a wall of water on their right and on their left. (Exodus 14:22)

That day the Lord saved Israel from the hands of the Egyptians, and Israel saw the Egyptians lying dead on the shore. (Exodus 14:30)

The Lord is my strength and my defense;
he has become my salvation.
He is my God, and I will praise him,
my father’s God, and I will exalt him. (Exodus 15:2)


In your unfailing love you will lead
the people you have redeemed.
In your strength you will guide them
to your holy dwelling. (Exodus 15:13) 


I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery. (Matthew 19:9) Jesus's loving attitude towards women protected them from being discarded by their husbands for no reason. 

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:14) I love Jesus's attitude to children. He loved them and wanted them around; such a different attitude to today's society. Even in church we hide them away in their own groups, forgetting that they are part of the family too. I really struggle with the idea that children are an inconvenience and that so many adults are glad to have time away from them. Personally, I love children and I love spending time with them, and so did Jesus, so I reckon I'll keep that up!

Day 28 - Exodus 16, 17 & 18; Matthew 19:16-30
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Look, I’m going to rain down food from heaven for you. Each day the people can go out and pick up as much food as they need for that day. I will test them in this to see whether or not they will follow my instructions. (Exodus 16:4) 

They must realize that the Sabbath is the Lord’s gift to you. (Exodus 16:29a) 

Jethro was delighted when he heard about all the good things the Lord had done for Israel as he rescued them from the hand of the Egyptians. “Praise the Lord,” Jethro said, “for he has rescued you from the Egyptians and from Pharaoh. Yes, he has rescued Israel from the powerful hand of Egypt! (Exodus 18:9-10) 

Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.” (Matthew 19:26)

Day 29 - Exodus 19, 20 & 21; Matthew 20:1-16
...showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:6)

“Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you. 
“You shall not murder.
“You shall not commit adultery.
“You shall not steal.
“You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. (Exodus 20:12-16) 

If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money. (Exodus 21:9-11) Another example of God protecting women, enshrining in law that they should not be mistreated.

The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. (Matthew 20:9-10)

Day 30 - Exodus 22 & 23; Matthew 20:17-34
If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife. If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins. (Exodus 22:16-17)

Do not mistreat or oppress a foreigner, for you were foreigners in Egypt. Do not take advantage of a widow or an orphan. If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry. (Exodus 22:21-23)

If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not treat it like a business deal; charge no interest. If you take your neighbor’s cloak as a pledge, return it by sunset, because that cloak is the only covering your neighbor has. What else can your neighbor sleep in? When he cries out to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate. (Exodus 22:25-27) 

If you come across your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to return it. If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help your enemy with it.
Do not deny justice to your poor people in their lawsuits. Have nothing to do with a false charge and do not put an innocent or honest person to death, for I will not acquit the guilty.
Do not accept a bribe, for a bribe blinds those who see and twists the words of the righteous.
Do not oppress a foreigner; you yourselves know how it feels to be foreigners, because you were foreigners in Egypt.
For six years you are to sow your fields and harvest the crops, but during the seventh year let the land lie unplowed and unused. Then the poor among your people may get food from it, and the wild animals may eat what they leave. Do the same with your vineyard and your olive grove.
Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and so that the slave born in your household and the foreigner living among you may be refreshed. (Exodus 23:4-12)

See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared. (Exodus 23:20)

...just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. (Matthew 20:28)  

Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him. (Matthew 20:34) 
 

Day 31 - Exodus 25 & 26; Matthew 21:1-22
The blind and the lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them. (Matthew 21:14)

Day 32 - Exodus 27 & 28; Matthew 21:23-46

Day 33 - Exodus 29 & 30; Matthew 22:1-22
Then I will dwell among the Israelites and be their God. They will know that I am the Lord their God, who brought them out of Egypt so that I might dwell among them. I am the Lord their God. (Exodus 29:45-46)

Day 34 - Exodus 31, 32 & 33; Matthew 22:23-46
The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” (Exodus 33:14) 

And the Lord said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”(Exodus 33:17)

Day 35 - Exodus 34, 35 & 36; Matthew 23:1-22
And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. (Exodus 34:6-7a) 

Then the Lord said: “I am making a covenant with you. Before all your people I will do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world. The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the Lord, will do for you. (Exodus 34:10)

Day 36 - Exodus 37 & 38; Matthew 23:23-39
Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. (Matthew 23: 37)

Day 37 - Exodus 39 & 40; Matthew 24:1-22

Day 38 - Leviticus 1, 2 & 3; Matthew 24:23-51
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. (Matthew 24:35) We can trust Jesus's words - His Truth will never change.

Day 39 - Leviticus 4, 5 & 6; Matthew 25:1-30

What do you think? Do you agree that these verses show God's love? Have you found different verses in these passages? Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment