Pages

Friday 26 October 2012

Foody Friday - Ready, Steady, Bake!

My week has been full of baking. Coffee and walnut cake for my Dad's birthday. I had to make this twice as the first time I forgot to dissolve the coffee before mixing it into the batter! Result: an ok tasting sponge with flecks of coffee granules through - saved it for home consumption only!
Giant Fondant FancyI have also made our Christmas cake, giving plenty of time to feed it full of sherry. Christmas cake making time is one of my favourites. The house smells warm and spicy, and my hands take on a citrus scent from zesting the lemon and orange. I love to see the jewelled fruits shining as they get stirred into the batter. And this year I added two tablespoons of sloe gin at the end, due to being short of brandy - touch I hope will add an extra depth to the cake. And having made the cake, we're now on the countdown to Christmas - my favourite time of year.



My baking spectacular this week was my sister-in-law's birthday cake. Inspired by the Great British Bake Off, I made her a giant fondant fancy. I used Mary Berry's recipe, but made two lots of the sponge which I sandwiched together with butter cream, and then rather than cutting into 25 little cakes, I left it as it was and poured the fondant rather than dipping the cake! Impressive, fun and rather tasty.

The highlight of the veg box was the cauliflower, which enabled the hubby to make his delicious cauliflower cheese soup. Devoured by all of us, and B didn't throw even the tiniest morsel on the floor! If you want the recipe, check out Jamie's Ministry of Food by Jamie Oliver - a brilliant book, especially for unconfident cooks, and full of pictures.
This week's veg box contains a butternut squash, corn on the cob, beetroot, turnips and a red pepper. I expect there will some roast squash going on, perhaps in a risotto. However, I'm a little scared of the beetroot - I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it, so I shall be researching that.

Whatever you are eating this week, Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment